|Client||BHP Kwinana Nickel Refinery|
|Location||Kwinana, Perth, Western Australia|
|Job Title||Copper Sulphate Thickener Feed Tank|
|Service||Capital Works (EPCM Projects)
Specialised Welding & Fabrication
Scope of Work
Material procurement, fabrication, non-destructive testing, hydrotesting, loadout, delivery and installation of a SAF2205 Duplex storage tank for BHP Kwinana Nickel Refinery. Fabrication occurred over a period of 10 weeks, from receipt of purchase order to delivery onsite.
• Workshop personnel included specialised coded welders and boilermakers. The support team included project management, quality management, project engineering and project supervision
• Sub-contract management of plate cutting, rolling/pressing, machining, rigging & scaffolding, NDT, hydro-testing, cranage and transport logistics
- Approx. 3,000 man-hours completed on workshop fabrication and site installation activities with zero recordable incidents or accidents.
- Project was delivered on time and on budget.
- The Tank achieved complete conformance with the technical and quality requirements of API 650.
- Dayshift and nightshift rosters were implemented to achieve a challenging delivery date in order to meet the site installation window during a critical shutdown.
- At 6.5m dia and 7.5m high the Tank was the largest structure fabricated by APMS in our Workshop facility.
- APMS is a specialist supplier, capable of undertaking project of this nature while still being approachable and receptive to our client’s needs.
• Project and Quality Management – Preparation of quality documents (Welding Procedures, Welder Qualifications, Inspection and Test Plans, Quality Plan, Manufacturers Data Record
• Project Planning and Reporting – Preparation of detailed and resourced schedules including identification of critical path activities. Weekly client progress reporting addressing safety and technical issues and providing progress and schedule updates.
• Design and Build of temporary structural section base to ensure the correct alignment of the Tank during fabrication and to dissipate the 250t hydrotest weight.
• Specialised tank welding to ASME and Australian standards using GTAW and FCAW processes.
• Management and co-ordination of multiple sub-contract service providers - plate cutting, rolling/pressing, machining, rigging & scaffolding, NDT, hydrotesting, cranage and transport logistics.
• Full Class One Manufacturers Data Report including welding documentation, ITP, material traceability, NDT testing reports, hydrostatic testing reports, as-built drawings and technical clarifications.